At Pearsall Primary School, all staff are committed to developing and improving student’s literacy skills enabling students to access all aspects if the curriculum. With parent/carers support, we can aim to equip student with literacy skills that are essential to academic and social success.
- The use of the VCOP (Vocabulary, Connectives, Openers and Punctuation) writing program to model required written work and to provide the success criteria expected of students.
- To provide a wide range of opportunities to use a range of genres for a variety of purposes.
- To use the Seven Steps Program as a structure for Students to write to.
- Use the Smart Words program for students in Years 4 to 7 to spell words at the required developmental level.
- To use Phonics International as a structures phonics program to provide explicit phonics learning.
- Use of a Literacy Block to incorporate required literacy learning.
- Use guided reading as a strategy to explicitly teach the elements of reading
- Identify all work with Key Words
- Use of the Lexile Reading scheme to motivate students reading for pleasure.
- Explicitly teach different reading strategies.
- Ensuring that students are exposed to a variety of Fiction and Non-Fiction reading material.
Speaking and Listening Strategies
- Use different types of questions to challenge students and encourage high levels of participation.
- Provide opportunities at the classroom and school level to be involved with public speaking.